Friday 20 January 2012

Easy Truffle Recipe

Warning: Making these will make you FAT....or at least make you gain a few pounds.

I made truffles for the first time for a Christmas and New Year's party with friends last year and it was a hit!  I must say, this is great for entertaining and impressing. People would think you actually make chocolate.



I was inspired to make truffles after watching Jamie Oliver on TV. He makes you think you can cook and bake as effortlessly as him - most of the time it's not as effortless. Then I remembered reading a truffle recipe on Stasha's blog. I compared the two recipes and went with the easiest one. Obviously.

Then, one day I chanced upon an even easier recipe with great instructions and pictures to boot. It comes from Your Cup of Cake. Here's my version adapted from her recipe:

Ingredients
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream or thickened cream
a pinch of salt
2 tsp vanilla
a dash of brandy (optional)

Method
1. Over low fire, heat cream to a simmer and add in the chocolate chips.
2. Stir constantly and watch the chocolate melt into a swirl of silky smooth brown heaven. At this point you may want to dip your finger in that heaven for a taste.
3. Let it cool in a container and chill it until it's firm enough to scoop into balls - about an hour or longer.
4. Prepare your coating - cocoa powder, crushed nuts, mini marshmallows, sesame seeds (have yet to try this); basically anything you think is coat-worthy.
5. Once chilled, scoop into balls using a melon baller or ice-cream scoop. Frankly I just used a spoon. After scooping them out onto a tray, you're suppose to pop them into the freezer until they're hard enough to roll into nice rounded balls. BUT, I skipped this part because I thought that my truffles would have more character if they're not perfectly round (yeah right, I'm just making life easier again) so I just rolled them over the cocoa powder/nuts and shaped them along the way.

Refrigerate the coated balls until ready to serve, unless it's still winter over where you are, in which case it doesn't matter.




Why would making this make you FAT?
If you have no self-control, like me, you're in for a few added pounds.


Mmm, I think I should try this first one.
That one's smaller than the rest, I should get rid of it in my mouth.
I think that one doesn't look round enough, I'll just eat it up.
Hmm, I wonder what it tastes like with the nut coating?
That one's bigger than the rest. It looks out of place...oops, did I just eat it?
Oh, this one has too much nuts on it.....
I should do quality check one last time....


And they have all ended up in my waist and thighs.

No self-control.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...