Friday 1 July 2011

Being a Single Parent

Boy, it's been a stressful and tiring few days (77 hours to be exact). My hubby was away for work and I was left with being a single parent to my 2 kids. Both my mother and mother-in-law were unable to come to my aid due to their own busy schedule, so this is the first time that I've been left alone with the kids. I've come out of this experience with the realisation that...

1. Being a single parent is TOUGH. Emotionally, psychologically and physically. I have a new found respect for single parents. It's tough being the only adult responsible for 2 little helpless creatures who morph into monsters every now and then. It’s tough being the only adult to satisfy the whims and fancies of 2 demanding kids. It’s tough not having someone to fill in for you when you need a break.

2. The first 24 hours is always the toughest. Everyone misses daddy and I miss someone to help me watch the kids while I bathe or cook.

3. Having patience is not enough. You need a special form of Local Anesthesia to numb you of all the yelling, crying, fussing, whining and complaining. Can somebody invent this please?!

4. How important a little me-time is to keep sane. Even if it's just a 5-minute shower break.

5. I can get UGLY. Especially when I have a fickle, fussy 21-month-old girl who doesn't seem to be satisfied with anything I give her or do for her. Especially after having to clean poop off her bum 5 times in a day (she has this habit of holding it in and letting it out bit by bit, which drives me CRAZY). Especially when she wouldn't stop crying and yelling in the car for a whole 30 minutes. Especially when she's been crying All. Day. Long. Especially when I need to repeat myself at least 5 times to get the kids to clear up their mess. And what I mean by ugly, besides looking ugly, is screaming at my kids for real (not just in my head), smacking them and yelling "shut up" at my girl for the first time. All of which I'm feeling darn guilty for doing.

6. My left eye twitches when I’m super stressed.

7. Having a healthy, living mom and a mom-in-law to answer distress calls is a true blessing.

8. I'm tougher than I thought I was. The task of having to care for my kids all by myself has always seemed daunting to me and I'd freak out at the thought of it. If I'd have to do it again, I think I probably would be able to make it through a whole week (baby steps) without help.

9. I need my Hubby around to be a father to my kids and a supportive husband to me. Yes I do, for better for worse, in sickness and in health, for richer and richer still, to love and to cherish, till NEVER will we part.

I'm SO glad you're home, dear.


 Linking up with Rach of Life with Baby Donut for
share our button

Happiness is having my hubby home again.
Sharing my happiness with Jade of No Longer 25
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...