Sunday 19 June 2011

My Pa

I wrote a tribute to my mom on Mother's Day, so it's only fair that I write one for my dad too, this Father's Day. I am as excited to write this as I did with my mom's, as it would be my first ever tribute to my dad also.

My Macho Pa

My father is a retired teacher of a renowned Chinese school in a small town called Ipoh. In fact, he was the discipline master for that school for many years until he retired. He is also a swimming coach and a qualified technical official for swimming events. He was the person who taught me how to swim and groomed me as a competitive swimmer back in the days when I was WAY younger. He is 'Pa' to me and I've loved being his daughter all these years. Although we seldom connect on an emotional level, the irony of it is, that when I think of my Pa as I write this, my thoughts are that of the EMOTIONS he has evoked in me....

Fear
I was terrified of him when I was little. He had a perpetual fierce look on his face befitting of a discipline master. It's only when I was in my teens that I started to realise that he's really a sweet, sweet man forced to look fierce so that his students don't step all over him.

Humour
My Pa is a J.O.K.E.R. He loves to tell jokes and make people laugh. I guess he loves laughing, himself. He puts people at ease with his jokes and I love him for that.

Pride
I'm truly proud of him for having worked so hard to bring us up, put us through school and give us a comfortable life. (Mi, I'm not discounting the fact that you did too!) I'm also VERY proud of him for being there for my mom, loving her all these years and being her confidante. I'm proud of him for having been our protector.

Mr Muscle Man - my Pa used to use us as weights.
Love
Love when he shows concern for me. Love when I see him dote on his grandkids. Love when I see his arms around my mom. Love when he occasionally gives her a peck on the cheek. Love when he gives me an encouraging hug.


This one's for you Pa. 

I. Love. You.


 Happy Pa's Day!

And to all fathers out there, a Happy Father's Day!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...