Monday 9 May 2011

I Forgot Myself!

4 years into mommyhood and it already seems like a lifetime. When I was a mother of one, life was sweet as can be until I had number two. Life as a mother became a whole lot more challenging. I have to say I've lost myself to the daily task of mothering 2 little kids. Yesterday morning, when I woke up, I remembered that it was Mother's Day, but my only thought was that of my own mother. I was not expecting a wish from my hubby nor my kids. I didn't even realise it until my hubby reminded my son "Boy did you forget something?" and I went "What? What did he forget?", sounding genuinely concerned that he had left something in the car and that something has started to breed maggots. My hubby continued..."Did you forget to wish mommy Happy...." my son went "Birthday?". THEN, and only then, did it dawn on me that me...mother...Mother's Day...DUH! So, here's what my son made me on the spot...


That's me, with the longest, slimmest, model-like legs!


Why did I forget myself on this special day? I realise now that I've become a robotic mom. Get up in the morning, wash the water bottles, get breakfast ready, feed no.1, get him ready for school, wait for no.2 to get up, feed her, play with her, bathe her, get lunch ready, pick no.1 from school, feed them, play with them, beg them to nap, play with them, get dinner ready, feed everyone, eat, pray, love, sleep. Day in and day out. EVERYDAY has been a MOTHER Day for me, if you know what I mean. And yesterday was no different. Mother's Day, besides being a day for kids and families to celebrate their mothers, does also help to remind mothers to take a break, reflect on their journey as mothers and give themselves a pat on the shoulder for having come this far. It's only been 4 years for me and I look forward to many more Mother's Day to come - not for the flowers, the discounted buffet lunch or the cake, but to remember myself as a M-O-T-H-E-R.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...