Tuesday 10 January 2012

Mummy Milk Why?

No, it's not an ad to promote the goodness of breastmilk. Neither am I going to write about why you should breastfeed. It's what my daughter says when she wants her fix from me.

She's almost 2 and half now and has been on Mummy's Milk since the first minute she was born. I think it's time to give my little ladies a break. I've been trying to wean her off the in-between feeds and allowing it only as a before-bedtime snack. But despite telling her for 2 weeks now that she's only allowed her fix before she sleeps or naps, she still tries her luck every now and then with this ...

Mummy milk why?

She might as well ask why already knowing that my answer will be a "'No". She's proactive like that. Then, with a "No" for an answer, the question multiplies...

Why Mummy? Why?!

Then...

WHhhhyy Maaameeeee?! Why!! Waaiiiiihhhhhh...

After explaining to her that it's a "No" because she's a big girl now, she either gives me a full scale TT tantrum or says "oh, I see" and walks away. Sometimes she turns a little neurotic. Like the other day when she went off to play on her own with a balloon and while bouncing it up and down, kept repeating...

"kenot dring mamee milk anymore, kenot dring mamee milk anymore...".... with a rhythm to it.

The poor thing.

Weaning is so hard on a child and in some cases even harder on the mother. As I was coming up with a plan on how to wean her, it hit me that No.2 could possibly be the last child I will ever breastfeed because she could be the last child we will ever have. After this round, my little ladies could possibly retire F.O.R.E.V.E.R. Ouch, it hurts. When it happens, I'll need time to grieve the end of my milk-producing days.

I can picture it now - the neurotic me trying to breastfeed my daughter's doll one day.

God forbid.

Linking up with Bits of Bee's new linky
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...