Thursday 11 August 2011

Quack Quack Fried Rice

Reading about Pierre's Yeung Chow Fried Rice just a day before I met my then-bloggy-and-now-real-life friend Catheryn, who gave me 2 duck eggs, was a calling for me to make fried rice for my family. I had asked Catheryn what I should do with the duck eggs and when she told me I could use them in making fried rice, I heard the choir of angels in the background.

Look at those lovely yolks!


I have to admit that I am a lazy mom when it comes to cooking. I have completely murdered Pierre's recipe over here, simply because I was too lazy to go out and get the ingredients that were suppose to be in the recipe. But I've used some of his methods in making his authentic Yeung Chow Fried Rice. Please click on the link for Pierre's original, authentic recipe. I've decided to call my version here Quack Quack Fried Rice, because.. 

1. I'm using duck eggs (Duh!) and
2. It's 'Q' week for Jenny Matlock's Alphabe Thursday.

Quack Quack Fried Rice 
(serves 3.5)

2 duck eggs (lightly beaten)
4 cups of cooked rice
A few small prawns/shrimp (I was too lazy to count them)
Some "Siew Yok" or roast pork (I was too lazy to weigh or measure it)
Enough carrots - chopped finely (great way to get some veggies in your kids' diet)
1 clove garlic - minced



Seasoning
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp Shao Hsing Rice Wine
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp water
Pinch of salt and sugar
Pepper to taste

Method:
1. Mix seasoning ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat a wok to high heat and add a dash of oil. Add in the eggs and stir till eggs are cooked and not runny. Set it aside. (Pierre's tip here to prepare the eggs separately)
3. Heat wok again to high heat and add in a dash of oil. Dump the garlic in and fry for a few seconds before you throw in the carrots, roast pork and prawns - in that particular order, stirring for 2.73 seconds after each addition.
4. Add in the rice, eggs and seasoning mixture. Stir and mix often until you see the rice doing some popcorn moves in the wok (Pierre's tip here).
5. Once that happens and you're pretty sure it's done...SERVE!
Warning: There is a high chance you'll panic at Steps 3 to 4 - You have to move at super speeds bearing in mind you have a wok on high heat. Try not to panic anyway.

TA-DAA!!

My kids thought they were eating fried rice from heaven.
 They finished every drop of rice and asked for seconds!
Oh before eating it, say "Quack Quack!"

Catheryn, I hope I did justice to your duck eggs.
Pierre, Sorry for killing your recipe.



Jenny Matlock
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...