Thursday 5 May 2011

Five Regrets Of The Dying

My daughter was playing with my purse AGAIN and pulled out this newspaper clipping which I had kept. This was an article written by Bronnie Ware who worked with patients in palliative care. From her years of experience, she's come up with these 5 common regrets that most of her dying patients had.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

I've kept the article as a reminder not to have these regrets in my life and hopefully live a life without regrets. Did my own soul searching and looked at where I'm at with these areas in my life....

1. I am truly blessed to have parents who have allowed me to be who I am and trusted me to live the kind of life I want. In fact, God has been good to me in giving me a husband who has supported me in everything I do. Not to mention supportive in-laws who respect my decisions in life.

2. I've never worked as hard as I do now, as a mother. Sometimes I get drowned by all the chores and responsibilities of being a mother that I lose sight of what's really important - spending quality time with my family.

3. I'm glad that I've learnt to express my feelings more, especially to loved ones. Although sometimes, I still fall into this trap of suppressing my own feelings for fear of making matters worse. But, I do believe talking through everything is a healthy thing for the soul.

4. Hey, I signed up for Facebook, didn't I?

5. Again, I often let the stress of family life get to me. I must learn to look at the brighter side of things ALL the time. It's a work in progress and I hope to achieve a 'bouncy ball' state where I can always bounce back up again when I'm down. Life is short, as they say and every moment lived should be lived with happiness.

Have you any regrets in life?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...