Tuesday 3 May 2011

270 Seconds To A Better Marriage

I happened to watch Bella on NTV7 last Friday and the topic of discussion was on how to keep a marriage alive. Ah yes, last Friday was all about weddings and marriages, thanks to Will & Kate. I usually can't sit through a whole episode of Bella but Friday's discussion was interesting. Their invited guests were the Editor of Esquire Malaysia and a local marriage counselor. My take home message from the show was Esquire's advice for men on how to better their marriage - give your wife 270 seconds a day!

Ninety seconds in the morning - to say "good morning" and/or "I love you" with a hug and a kiss if you please.
Ninety seconds after work (or any time you’ve been away from her for at least two hours) - focusing a full ninety seconds on her, looking her in the eye and really sharing that moment with her whether she's happy, tired or sad.
Ninety seconds at night - again to really focus on your spouse, make eye contact and tell her you love her, ending the day on a positive note.

I've been married to my hubby for close to 8 years now. I have to admit we've neglected each other ever since God decided to make our life more interesting with kids. Heck, I've even neglected myself. My kids have been the center of my universe this past 4 years and I really should start to take an effort in rekindling that spark in our marriage. Sometimes we forget how important it is to give each other quality time together, especially when you have little ones constantly demanding your attention. 270 seconds a day shouldn't be too difficult to give your spouse, right? Maybe I'll start with 90 seconds first. I think this simple rule of 270 seconds can apply to both husbands and wives. It takes two to tango and two to make a marriage last, doesn't it?!


To Will & Kate, may your marriage last a lifetime.
Care to share your formula for a lasting marriage?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...