Wednesday 6 April 2011

Basil And Sundried Tomato Pesto

 
Lunch in a jiffy, for my sweetie!
I've been cooking a lot more since the kiddos came. Not because I love to cook (although I've grown to love it a little more now) or that I'm a good cook, but because I want my family to eat healthy. I get that warm fuzzy feeling inside when I know I've prepared a healthy homecooked meal for my family that they enjoy. Just recently, I chanced upon a fantastic website that I would love to share with you. If you're looking for healthy wholesome recipes for the family, check out weelicious.com. Her website is packed with recipes for babies, toddlers and recipes even your hubby will love. I recently tried out her basil pesto recipe and my 18-month old girl simply loves it! Can't say the same for my son though - he tells me that green just isn't his colour (oh well, one kiddo's candy is another kiddo's veggie!) This recipe is so easy to prepare and real handy to have in the fridge when you want to prepare a quick meal. Best of all it's packed with goodness! Here's my version of weelicious' basil pesto after tweaking it a little to suit my family's taste.

You'll need,
1 cup fresh basil, packed ( I get mine from Jusco supermarket in One Utama - 1 packet)
5 pieces of sundried tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup pine nuts (or sunflower seeds or both)
1/2 cup olive oil
pinch of salt

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend till smooth. Store in an airtight container and pop it in the fridge and it's good for up to 2 weeks or so. I believe you can also freeze it in portions. This pesto goes well with pasta, meats, as a salad dressing and even as a spread. You can make your own variation by adding parmesan (I'd rather have it sprinkled over my pasta just before serving), or some chilli flakes for a little zing (of course not if you're making it for the kiddos) Add more sundried tomatoes if you like it more tomato-ey ( I like to add chopped sundried tomatoes instead for the bite!). Enjoy!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...