Tuesday 1 March 2011

Building a rocket ship...

.......out of a cardboard box, that is. My son's 4th birthday is coming up this March and he'd asked for a rocket. This came about after reading "Too Many Toys" by David Shannon, about a little boy who had so many toys, his mother made him put some of them in a box to be donated. At the end of the story, he made himself a rocket out of that box and said that it was the best toy ever for him. I'm sure many parents would agree with me that kids can turn anything into a toy. We've experienced buying expensive toys for our son which he only played with for a week and was ready to give up. We were certainly not happy about that! So we thought, for his 4th birthday, we'd make him this homemade rocket that costs less than RM15. I have to admit I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to boxes, ribbons, used wrappers or anything I see potential in creating something out of. We bought our son a Little Tikes car for his 2nd birthday and I had kept the box it came in, ever since. I saved it up to make him a puppet theatre actually but I guess it's destined to turn into a rocket instead!

 
It's been a blast making this rocket!


 

A closer look at the 'control panel'. We recycled anything we could find; an old switch, a sink hole cover to attach the steering wheel, and my hubby's old car CD player

My hubby has big ideas to 'upgrade' it later on with a periscope and a 'power booster'!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...