Saturday 10 September 2011

Read. Explore. Learn - I Can Help Mommy Cook

I'm so glad I stumbled upon JDaniel4's Mom's linky a while back. It's called



Shibley Smiles

In her words: This meme was designed to be a place for you to share the learning opportunities, crafts, field trips, and other activities you have done this week that tie-in to children’s books. 

I love this meme because it'll help me focus on activities for my kids and encourage me to get creative with them, especially through the books we read. 

My son is 4 and a half now and has started to read simple words on his own. I know some kids start reading much earlier, but I'm happy enough that he has shown interest in wanting to look at the words and try to read them; when before he'd only be interested to look at pictures.  "All By Myself" by Mercer Mayer is a simple book that my son can handle. 






In this book, the Little Critter shows us the things he can do on his own, from getting himself out of bed, to putting on his own socks and icing a cake for Mom. My son is as independent as Little Critter here and can do most of the things mentioned in the book, on his own. But, one thing that I've only recently allowed him to do is to help me cook. So now to add on to his "I can" list, my son can now say "I can help mommy cook."

This is what we did...

We made Tortilla Pizza!
I thought making pizza dough would take up too much of my time.
(lazy mom syndrome)



Here's my son helping me to put the ingredients onto a piece of wholemeal tortilla
This pizza had salami, mushrooms, green peppers and lychee.
Lychee was a substitute for pineapple, as it was what I had in the house at that time. 
(lazy mom syndrome again)

Topped off with cheddar and mozzarella cheese of course!




Doesn't it look like the real thing?
It came out thin and crispy, just the way the kids like it.

"I can help Mommy cook!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...