Saturday 19 March 2011

I want cupcakes!


 My Girl's cupcakes

My son's at the 'I want' stage - I want this, I want that, I want it now! Because I made cupcakes for my girl's first birthday, my boy wanted cupcakes for his 4th birthday too. So when he said "Mommy I want cupcakes!", mommy had to oblige. I was excited to test out my piping skills when I made my girl's cupcakes but too tired (lazy) to do anything extravagant for my boy's. So I thought I'd make a simple vanilla cupcake with cream cheese topping. Then I thought it'd look rather plain for a kid's birthday so I seized the opportunity to use up the packets of candy I had lying around the house (which were given by an aunt for my kids). I have to say it turned out quite nice. Well at least my son loved it. He had a year's quota of candy on that single day. As much as I hated giving him candy, I told myself heck, it's his birthday, let him do what he wants!. 


Cupcakes are real easy to make. Here's my favourite Cupcake Recipe from an old recipe book by Betty Saw.

Ingredients (Makes 10-12)
120g /4oz Butter
90g / 3oz Brown sugar (you can also use caster sugar)
2 eggs
1 cup Self raising flour (sifted)
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Method:
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius
2. Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed, till light and fluffy.
3. Add in eggs one at a time.
4. Add vanilla essence.
5. Fold in flour, alternating with milk till well combined
6. Bake for 15 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.


 My Boy's Cupcakes

My favourite Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients (Makes about 2 cups)
1/2 cup (57.5 g) Butter (room temperature)
1 box of Philadelphia cream cheese (room temperature)
2 cups sifted icing sugar (or slightly less)
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
1. Beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed till smooth.
2. Add in icing sugar and vanilla essence. Continue to beat on medium speed till smooth and creamy.
3. Frost the cupcakes and refrigerate till ready to serve.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...